PSP was a popular gaming console from 2004 to 2014. Unfortunately, no new games are released for PSP after revoking the access to the store by Sony. But it doesn’t mean that PSP is faded out.
The games that are released on PSP such as GTA: Liberty City, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War were still great. So, there are still many people nowadays who love to play games on the PSP. However, many of them are facing problems connecting their PSP with their WiFi.
If you are one of them, you have come to the right place. Because here we are going to discuss why is this happening and how to fix this problem.
The Reason Behind ‘PSP Not Supporting WiFi’ Issue
PSP allows playing online games with other online players. But before this, the PSP needs to connect to the internet. But because of being an old technology, PSP doesn’t support WPA2 security. So, if the WiFi contains WAP2 security, the PSP will be unable to connect to that WiFi.
As PSP only supports WAP security instead of WAP2, your WiFi needs to be configured and change the security mode to WAP only.
If you don’t know how to change WAP from WAP2 on WiFi, then follow the instructions in the next article.
How to Change Security of a WiFi from WAP2 to WAP
Four types of security exist on WiFi which are WEP, WPA, WPA2, and Mixed. The WPA is less secured than the WPA2 security mode. But as you need to connect your PSP to the WiFi, you need to configure your router and change the security from WPA2 to WAP mode. Here are the steps to configure your router:
- First, connect your PC with the WiFi and go to your web browser
- Here, copy and paste the IP address on your address bar- 192.168.1.1
- Gradually, you will be taken to the admin login page of your router
- Here, input the username and password
NOTE: The default value for username and password is “admin” (double quote is not included)
- After logging in successfully, click on the Wireless tab and go to the Wireless Security
- Now, select the security option named WAP from the dropdown list
- Then, input the new password, WPA Pre-Shared Key, PSK Personal details, and all the other information
- Finally, click Save to change the security mode successfully from WPA2 to WPA
Now, try to connect your PSP with the WiFi and enjoy. If it still doesn’t work, then it is probably because the Wireless receiver of your PSP is broken. But don’t worry you still can go online via USB cable. Read the below instructions to connect your PSP to the internet with USB.
The Process of Connecting PSP to the Internet Via USB Cable
Accessing the internet through a USB cable is pretty easy for PSP. Here are the steps to follow for connecting the PSP to the internet via USB cable:
- Firstly, you have to collect the IP address of the domain server that is needed to configure your internet from your ISP
- Secondly, connect one end of the USB PSP connector to the PSP and the other end to your PC
- Now, turn on your PSP, and from your PC, go to Control Panel > Network Connections
- From there, select the network that you are using
- Next, click on Properties of that network and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- After that, fill up the DNS server address on the DNS primary column with that IP address that you recently have collected from your ISP
- Leave the DNS (Domain Name System) secondary column blank
- In the end, click Save and close all the tabs
You have now connected the PSP to the internet via USB cable. Run the browser page from your PSP to check if the internet is working properly or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Connect My PSP to WiFi?
Here is how you can connect Sony PSPTM to the WiFi:
- Go to Settings > Network Settings on your PSP
- Then, select Infrastructure Mode
- Next, select Scan and press New Connection on the WLAN setting screen
- Now choose your WiFi name (SSID) and connect to it
Thus, your PSP will be connected to the internet using your WiFi.
Does PSP Store Still Work?
Japan had stopped making parts for the PSP in 2014 and Sony shut down the access to the PSP store on March 31, 2016. That means the PSP store is officially ended. So you are not able to access the PlayStation Store to purchase games for your PSP. But you can get all the games for PSP on other unofficial websites. However, you will never find any new games for your PSP as Sony has stopped developing any new games for PSP since 2014. The old games of PSP are still enjoyable though.
PSP not supporting or connecting WiFi is the most common issue faced by many users. The main reason is PSP is an old model gaming console and doesn’t support WPA2. On the other hand, today’s router uses WPA2 security. For this conflict, PSP usually creates issues connecting to the WiFi. A router using WPA security can simply solve this problem. Much helpful information about connecting PSP to the wireless network is provided in this article. I hope it will fix your issue connecting the PSP with your WiFi.