The Apple company has provided a feature on Mac books that starts with the Mavericks OS X (Version 10.9) to transfer files between devices via the Thunderbolt Bridge interface. It uses a Thunderbolt cable that transfers files with a speed of up to 20 Gbps. It is faster than Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or Airdrop.
As this is a new feature, you may face problems connecting the Thunderbolt bridge. So, without further ado, let’s solve the problem.
How to Solve ‘Thunderbolt Bridge is not connected’ Error
You can connect two MacBooks easily via Thunderbolt Bridge within a few steps. Let’s see how:
- Step1: Take a Thunderbolt 3 cable and connect both Thunderbolt 3 enabled Macs together
- Step2: Open System Preferences > Network on the Mac that you want to connect to. There you will find a Thunderbolt Bridge with an IP address. If you can’t find the Thunderbolt inside Network, then click on the ‘+’ icon and add one
Caution: Do not forget to note the IP address.
- Step3: Enable file sharing on the Mac you are connecting to by opening System Preference > Sharing
- Step4: Open Finder > Go > Connect to Server on the Mac you are connecting from
- Step5: Copy the IP address which you have noted in step2 and paste it into the Server Address box
- Step6: Enter the login information of the Mac that you are connecting to on the dialog box that appeared to you and click Connect
- Step7: Select your preferable volume and click OK
- Step8: Now you are successfully connected to both Macs using the Thunderbolt Bridge. You will be able to see the shared drive in which you selected the volume to transfer the file
- Step9: After finished transferring, eject the drive and disconnect the Thunder Cable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to Turn on Thunderbolt Bridge on Mac?
- Put Thunderbolt cable onto the computer that you want to connect to
- Choose System Preference from the Apple menu of your Mac and click on Network
- Select Thunderbolt Bridge from the left menu
- Click Advanced > DNS and input DNS (Domain Name System)
- Enter the domain address if it is required by your network
What is needed to connect the Thunderbolt Bridge?
The Thunderbolt Bridge establishes the connection between two to six devices using the Thunderbolt cable. It will not work if you use a regular USB type- C cable. Only Thunderbolt cable can connect the Thunderbolt Bridge.
Why is My Thunderbolt Not Connecting?
The main problem is not with the cable; it is most likely with your connected computer. Unplug the thunderbolt cable from the connected computer and restart the computer. Then again put the cable back to the computer and try to connect.
Thunderbolt bridge is now a very popular peripheral-connection technology used by MacBook. The latest MacBooks now have a separate Thunderbolt port to transfer files including Videos, images, audio, documents, and application within minutes. It is now replaced with the former fastest file transfer method named Mini DisplayPort.
Here we have briefly discussed the method of connecting Thunderbolt Bridge. I hope you have found the solution to the problem connecting Thunderbolt Bridge from this article.