Suppose you are eager to play a video game on your Xbox 360 and you noticed that your Xbox isn’t turning on instead, it shows red light on the power supply. You may wonder in such a situation what should you do, what it even means and how can you fix this problem. Well, don’t worry because you will be able to know the reasons and solutions to this problem from this article. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the details.
The Meaning of the LED Light on Xbox 360 Power Supply
The second video game console designed by the Xbox series is the Xbox 360. As an updated model, it has some updated features too. The power supply of the Xbox 360 console has a built-in LED light that indicates potential technical issues related to the console. There can happen four situations after plugging in the power cable – The light either will be green, /orange, / red, or it will remain off. Each of these means different things about the Xbox 360 console. Let’s see which color indicates what:
When you plug the power cable into the socket of your wall, and it doesn’t show any light on the power supply, then you have to assume that the power supply is not receiving any power from the socket. It can be due to the problem with your socket or no electricity is supplied from the socket. You can put the plug into another socket and check again.
If the LED light is green, then you can determine that the power supply is working correctly and providing power to the Xbox 360.
When you have turned off your Xbox but the power cable is still connected to the wall, then you will see an orange light on the power supply. It means the power supply is working fine but the Xbox is off currently. If you turn on the Xbox again, then the orange light will turn green again.
If the power supply lights the red light, then your Xbox won’t turn on. Red light indicates a fault with the power supply. It means the power supply is no longer able to provide power to the Xbox. In most cases, it causes by overheating of the power supply. You can try unplugging the cable from the wall and letting the power supply to be cool for at least one hour.
The Potential Reasons Behind Indication Red Light on the Power Supply of Xbox 360
There are many reasons why the power supply can turn the red light on. Though it generally indicates having flaws in the power supply. But it doesn’t mean every time that you have to replace or change the power supply of your Xbox 360. It can often happen for some temporary reasons and easily can be fixed. So don’t panic if you see the red light on your Xbox 360’s power supply. Here are the two most common reasons:
- Overheating: The power supply provides power to the Xbox. When the electricity passes through the device, it can raise the temperature. Overheating creates flaws in the circuit of the power supply and prohibits supplying electricity to the Xbox. Again, if the power supply is connected inappropriately, then it will increase the heat. The current will flow through the broken insulation and will connect the two conductors to each other. It will efficiently build up heat. For this, your power supply has ventilation to lose heat. If you somehow cover up the ventilation, then overheating will occur. So, you have to make sure that the power supply is having proper ventilation and avoid putting it on the mat where it cannot ventilate heat.
- Power Surge: A power surge occurs when the electricity of the main supply is interrupted temporarily. This is too harmful to an Xbox as it completely breakdowns. The new versions of Xbox have built-in intelligence power surge protection features. Unfortunately, for being an older version, the Xbox 360 does not have that feature. So, when the power surge occurs, the circuit breakdowns, and the power supply indicates the red light on it.
As you know the reasons behind the power supply red light problem of your Xbox 360. Now let’s see how to fix it.
How to Fix Xbox 360 Power Supply’s Red Light?
Before going any further and taking any steps to fix the power supply red light indication problem, you need to unplug and re-plug the power cable into the socket and ensure the current flow in it. Then you should connect the Xbox 360 power cord to the console and the power brick properly. If the power supply still shows the red light, then follow the steps below to fix the problem.
- Reconnect the cables and wait at least 10 seconds before pressing the power button of the console.
- If you still face the same problem, then let your Xbox cool down. Unplug it, power supply cable, and leave it for at least one hour to cool it down. Before plugging it in again, don’t forget to put the power supply in a place where it will not be overheated and have sufficient breathing spaces.
- If it still shows the red signal, then the power supply is unable to transfer current to the console. There is a possibility that the power cable is damaged and cannot transfer current. You can unplug the power cable from the console and try another power cable to connect with it. If you see green or orange light this time, then it is the problem with your cable. You have to change it.
- If a new power cable is unable to solve the problem, then you should assume that your power adapter is damaged. Try a new power adapter to run the Xbox 360. If it works this time, then you should consider replacing the power supply of your Xbox 360.
- If none of the above methods can solve the problem, then you have to reinstall the Xbox 360 hard drive. Before that, don’t forget to backup all your data from the hard drive.
You surely should be able to fix this problem by applying the above methods. If you still find the red light signal on your power supply, then you should contact the seller.
Note: You are no longer able to replace your console by the manufacturer as Microsoft has already discontinued the support for Xbox 360.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Find Fault in My Xbox 360 Power Supply?
You can find faults in your Xbox 360 power supply simply by observing the light on your power supply. Here is the meaning of every color of that light:
No Light – The power supply is not receiving any electricity from the power socket on your wall.
Green Light – The power supply has no faults and the Xbox is on.
Orange Light – The power supply has no faults and the Xbox is off.
Red Light – The power supply has some faults.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Is My Xbox Power Supply Light Orange?
The orange light indicates that the power supply is alright but the Xbox is turned off. The orange light generally turns green when you turn on your Xbox. However, the orange light also indicates the power saving mode to protect the system from an unexpected power surge. It is a built-in feature of the power supply. When the Xbox will remain unused for a certain period of time, it will automatically go to power saving mode and your power supply will show you orange light. In some rare cases, the Xbox console cannot receive enough power because of the fault of the power cable or the power brick and thus, the power supply indicates the orange light.
Does The Xbox 360 Power Supply Have a Fuse?
Yes, Xbox 360 power supply has an internal fuse (Electrical). The fuse cuts off itself to protect your console when the voltage is too high and power surges happen. Unfortunately, you cannot replace the cut-offed fuse as it is sealed inside the power supply unit. This fuse can supply 245 watts continuously and it cut-offs if the power crosses 280 watts.
How Can I Know If My Xbox Power Supply Is Damaged?
All the power bricks of the Xbox contain a LED light indicator. It turns the light on after receiving the electrical current. If you see the green and orange light, then your power supply is completely fine. If you don’t see any light during purchasing the power supply, then it has some faults and needs to be replaced. Again, the red light indicates a fault with the power supply. So, you can also identify that your power supply is broken by seeing the red light on the power brick.
Both the Xbox 360 power supply and the console contains built-in LED lights to inform you of the ongoing technical issues with it. The LED light turns green, orange, and red due to different situations. I hope that you are now aware of which color of light indicates what and why. You are now able to fix your power supply red light problem with the given solution. However, if none of the given solutions works for you, then you are recommended to find help from Microsoft’s technical assistant. Do not repair your Xbox power supply because it will cost you almost the same as a new power supply. So, if you get a new power supply within the same cost then why would you use a faulty and repaired one? It will be best for you if you can replace the faulty power supply.