You may already be aware of it that antivirus software like Avast is used to detect and block malicious applications and websites. But it creates problems when the firewall of Avast starts blocking the outgoing communications or network sharing. Why is this happening and how to fix this problem? To know the solution, keep your eyes on this article.
Reasons Why Avast Firewall Blocking Network Share
When an application or process starts for the first time, the Firewall creates a new rule for that application or process. It helps the Firewall control the application or process and determines how they will act during connecting to the internet or other network. For this reason, Avast Firewall sometimes blocks Network Sharing.
However, you can set or modify the Firewall rules for individual networks and determine how strictly the firewall should handle that.
How to Solve ‘Avast Firewall Blocking Network Share’ – Setting up Rules or Adding Exceptions to Avast Firewall
If you face this problem and look for a perfect solution, you are in the right place. Yes! You can fix this problem and stop Avast from blocking network share with a simple and effective method.
You may find many methods to fix this problem but the technique given here is straightforward and authentic. You only have to set up Firewall Network rules and it will simply solve the problem.
If you want to learn how to set up rules for Firewall, read the instructions below.
For setting up Firewall network rules in Avast, you need to know three basic things:
- Navigation to the Network rules
- Information about the Network rule parameters
- Modification of the Network rules
A brief description of configuring Network rules including marked images are given below:
1. Navigation to the Network Rules
- Open Avast Antivirus and click on Protection > Firewall
- Click the Settings (a gear icon) on the upper right of the application
- Now, go to View Firewall Rules
- Choose the Network Rules tab
- Click on More > Filter rules to search or view the specific rule that meets certain criteria
2. Information About the Network Rule Parameters
Each network rules of the Firewall are defined with the following parameters:
- Name: Indicates the name of the rule
- Profile: Defines the rule are either Public, Private, or All
- Action: Indicates the actions applied by the Firewall (Allow or Block)
- Protocol: Specifies the network protocol that is used by the corresponding traffic
- Direction: Defines where to apply the rules- Incoming connection (In), Outgoing connection (Out), both (In/Out). For protocols such as TCP, UDP, or ICMP
- Address: It indicates a specific IP address where the rule should be applied. If the field remains blank, the rules apply to all IP addresses
- Local port: It defines the port number of your PC under the rules. (single port, multiple ports, port range)
- Remote port: It defines the port number of other remote devices where the rule is applicable
- ICMP Type: Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) indicates the code number of the control message that the rules apply
3. Modification of the Network rules
You are not eligible to modify Default rules from the Network rules screen. The default rules are defined by a Lock icon. You can change and take action for any rule that is not the default rule.
- Add new rule: Click More > + Add new rule. Define each parameter and click Save
- Edit the rule: Click on the edit button (pencil icon) on the right side of the panel to redefine the parameters
- Delete a rule: Click the Delete (Trash can) button on the left side of the Edit button to remove a rule
- Disable/Enable a rule: Tick the box to enable the rule and untick the box to disable the rule temporarily
- Changing priorities: When multiple rules are applied for the same package, the rule that is in the highest position will be applied first. You can click and drag the rule to set its position as well as the priority
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) & Answers
How do I Change My Avast Firewall Settings?
The navigation to go to the Firewall panel has already been given above. You have to open the Application rules tab to change the parameters.
How Do I Turn Off Avast Firewall?
- Open Avast Antivirus and click Protection > Firewall
- Click the green button to turn off the Firewall
- Choose an option that how long you want this to remain turned off
Does Avast Free provide a Firewall for Free?
Yes! You can use Avast Firewall for free. You only need to go to Protection > Firewall from the Avast app, and Click Download Firewall. But you need to go premium for enjoying further advanced options of the Firewall.
Why Does Avast Stop Internet?
Avast does not stop the internet, it only blocks insecure and malicious websites. If you cannot go to your desired website, then you have to disable the Web Shield module from Avast software. You can also add the URL of the website to the Exclusion list of Avast. Now you will be able to visit the website you want.
Caution: Some websites can be dangerous. By disabling this module, you are putting your computer and data at high risk.
Avast firewall blocking network share is not an uncommon problem. If you are facing the same problem, you can try the above method to fix it.
Avast firewall gives you secure surfing on the internet. You will not face such problems with network sharing by having a Firewall. For this, I recommend you to use Firewall because there many dangers on the internet which can be bypassed through it.
I hope you have found your solution. Feel free to write your opinion in the comment box below.